27 May 2009

Looking for the Signs

[Travel Agent: Mullumbimby]

Its true to say that my ancient forefathers were somewhat obsessed with the interpretation of signs and portents.

No war, expedition, building-work, or even trip to the shops might be undertaken unless the augurs had first been consulted and the portents interpreted in a suitably propitious manner. Just getting the imperial family off for a short holiday could be a lengthy, complex and at times, bloody business. The signs just had to be right!

Being an altogether more modern emperor, I do not really hold with past traditions in this respect; amongst other factors they were starting to get a bit suspicious of me at the local pet shop.

However, although the cultural and historical context may be very different, I still keep a watchful eye for the signs around me.
Indeed, although Australia may not have a great classical heritage, there is still just enough to make old Romans like Pliny and I feel at home. Below is just a small sample of some of the signs we have been noticing.



[Trendy Apartment block: Melbourne, CBD]



[I had no idea it went so far: Blue Mountains]

[Melbourne, CBD]

[Katoomba, Blue Mountains]

[Melbourne, St Kilda]
Of course in other respects, some of the signage we have seen in Australia has left Pliny and I altogether more confused.


[Ian Doyle: More than just a butcher! No wonder the dogs so excited.: Gunnedah]


[Surely it depends on how hard one tries?: Sydney, Epping]


[Well they did keep the sign up for a good length of time: Melbourne]
[A great wee Restaurant: Sydney, CBD]
I will keep my eyes open for more signs, but so far the gods seem to be favouring us on our travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings from the Emperor.

Thank you for getting in touch.

Colinus